ERT User Manual
The ERT graphical user interface can be started using the gert script installed in the bin directory of the ert install path. The scripts takes one parameter, the configuration file.
$ /path/to/ert/binary/gert <config_file>
If <config_file> a dialog specifying some initial parameters is opened, whereupon the config file is created. Starting gERT with an existing configuration file opens the main window:
This window contains:
- The menu bar, with the view menu which allows the user to hide the configuration summary window, and to turn on advanced configuration options.
- The task bar giving access to the Configure, Create Plot, Run Workflow and Manage Cases windows. Also allows to show or hide the inline help window.
- The simulation mode. Three different simulation modes are supported:
- Parameters for the given simulation mode.
- Current case
- The currently selected case.
- The path where the ensemble is run, as specified in the configuration file.
- Number of realizations
- Size of the ensemble, as specified in the configuration file.
- Target case (Ensemble Smoother)
- The name case where the results after the smoother update is stored.
- Number of iterations (Iterated Ensemble Smoother)
- Number of smoother updates.
- Target case format (Iterated Ensemble Smoother)
- Format specifying the names of the cases where the results after the smoother updates is stored. Should contain %d which will be replaced with the iteration number.
- Configuration summary window, showing a summary of the current forward model, parameters and observations as specified in the configuration file.
- Start simulation button.
When pressing the simulation button a status window for the simulation is shown:
The status window has two progress bars:
- Showing the overall progress of the simulation.
- Showing the status of the individual ensembles for the current run. When using the ensemble smoother there will be two runs, while the iterative smoother will have multiple runs.
Inline help window
When pressing the Help button on the task bar, a help window is shown. The help window contains help text for the element in the user interface pointed to by the user.
Configuration File Editor
The Configuration window gives access to a simple text editor where the ERT configuration file can be updated. Known keywords are shown in orange, and the help window shows inline help for the keyword at the line where the cursor is placed. When saving the file gERT needs to be restarted to load the updated configuration.
The plotting window allows plotting of different kinds of data.
The different parts for the plot window are:
- The data type selector, where the data type that should be plotted are listed. Different types of data are supported:
- ECLIPSE summary data.
- GEN_DATA observations.
- RFT observations.
- GEN_KW parameters.
- PCA plot for encompassing all observations.
- The plot window, where the selected plot is shown.
- Depending on the data type different types of plot can be shown:
- Ensemble plot
- Shows the ECLIPSE summary data, together with observations and ref-case.
- Ensemble overview plot
- Same as the ensemble plot, but only shows the area between the most extreme realizations. Well-suited for comparisons.
- Histogram plot
- Histogram, showing distribution, either for a GEN_KW-parameter or for summary data at a given point in time.
- RFT plot
- Showing well test data together with simulated pressures for the different depths.
- RFT overview plot
- Same as RFT plot, but just showing the spread.
- Distribution plot
- Shows the distribution for a GEN_KW parameter by displaying the individual values.
- PCA plot
- Displays the first three principal components from the analysis step after running the smoother.
- In the plot case window multiple cases can be selected for comparisons.
- Other windows that can be chosen include:
- Plot metrics window used to change the scaling of the plot axis, and to plot subsets of the data.
- The Customize windows allows changing the plot colors.
- The Export Plot dialog allows exporting the plot to an image file.
From the Run Workflow pane, workflows specified in the configuration file can be run. Workflows consist of scripts accessing either internal ERT functionality or external scripts and can be used to automatize repeated tasks.
Cases are used to the store simulation results after different ERT runs, for comparison. From the Manage Cases window it is possible to add new cases, and to manually initialize the individual cases, i.e. to set the initial values for the different parameters in the ERT run. Initialization is done automatically when running a ERT simulation, and it is usually not necessary to initialize the parameters manually.
The manage cases window has four tab panes:
- Create new case
- Allows the creating new empty cases.
- Initialize from scratch
- Allows to (re-)initialize specified parameters for specific realizations.
- Initialize from existing
- Allows to initialize the parameters for a specific case using the parameter values from another case.
- Case Info
- Displays information about the state of each realization. Can be used to identify realization where the running of the forward model failed.